Friday, November 24, 2017

Non-string related. The article that the anti-vax movement is based on.

One of my biggest pet peeves is that the anti-vax movement is based on a single study, conducted by someone who was marketing an alternative to the vaccine he claimed caused autism.  The study has a lot of issues, and failed to find an association between autism and the MMR vaccine, yet it has become gospel for a lot of people.  I'm posting the original retracted study here, so people can see it without having to ask me questions or to send it to them, because I understand that the people I hope will read it, are unlikely to ask me.  They may not read it, but at least they have the option.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Double-face Checks

If you aren't already familiar with tablet weaving or double-face, and need more information, there are basic handouts in previous posts, and I am always willing to answer questions.

The basic technique:
To weave double face, your cards are threaded half with one color, and half with the other color.  Start with the color you want to show on top of the band (your guide color) in the two holes closest to you, rotate the cards away from you twice, passing the weft each time.

In tablet weaving the thread in the hole that crossed over the top of the card is the one that will show in the band.  Therefore, the two passes shown above (the first card shows the starting position), will result in black on the top of the band, and white underneath.  To keep black on the top of the band, you need to reverse the direction that you are turning.  You ended with the black in the holes furthest from you, so you will rotate the cards towards you, passing the weft each time.

If you want the color to change, you don't change the direction you are turning (continue rolling the cards away from you), and the white will come to the top of the band.

The pattern:
To weave two columns of checks, set up half the cards with black in the holes closest to you, and the other half with white.  Then rotate the cards 2 passes away, 2 towards, 2 away, then an extra set of 2 away, before continuing the sequence (the other color will now be the guide color).

This is where most people get lost, because it is really easy to forget which direction you are supposed to be turning.  You can keep track on a paper pattern, use scissors or a pencil to note which direction you just turned, etc... but sometimes you lose track of those things anyways.  The best indicator of where you are, is looking at your weaving.  When you start or change the guide color, the threads on the band will be slanted.  However, when you change the turning direction, the string on the top of the band lays straight, which indicates it is floating over the band.  In this pattern, you want a line of slants, two lines of floats, then another line of slants.

Counting those lines will keep your pattern consistent, but it is also useful to understand what is happening in the band.  When a thread passes from the top to the bottom of the band, or bottom to top, the weft thread will tie it down.  Otherwise, it will float.

A sideways view of the card rotation, marking only the guide color as T for top, or B for bottom.

How it will look on a pattern draft, using / as rotating away, and \ as rotating towards the weaver.  (gray is sometimes used to note rotation direction, but in this draft, it is just background to allow the stitch colors to show)

The transitions, outlined in red, are the threads that float.  Changing the rotation direction should only occur when the guide color is in the top and bottom holes closest or furthest away from the weaver.  When floats wind up longer, it is because you accidentally changed rotation while the guide color was in the holes at the top of the card.  If you are ever unsure which direction you should be rotating from that position, the correct direction will result in threads from the bottom coming to the top, whereas the incorrect direction will result in the same threads remaining at the top of the band.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Old Brocade Handout

I made this handout about 10 years ago, and really need to make a better one, but have not gotten around to it, since I usually give brocade lessons one on one.

Ecclesiastical Pomp & Aristocratic Circumstance is the book I recommend for brocade.  It is out of print, but a pdf is available from the author here:

Many people prefer to use a thicker thread or double thinner ones (such as wire) for the brocade weft.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Two Color Float Based Tablet Weaving

One of my goals is to develop more classes and handouts focusing on simpler versions of more advanced techniques to ease the transition between basic and intermediate/advanced tablet weaving.  I used screenshots to maintain formatting, so there will be overlap on some pictures, but hopefully it is still cohesive.  As always, I welcome any feedback on my handout.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Researching temple rings - work in progress

Researching temple rings, and figured I would post links to various articles, while I look for an extant example of a woven headband.